Archive for the ‘Name Badges & Place Cards’ Category

       I am co-hosting a dinner with a U.S. Senator. For purposes of preparing my place cards, how should they be addressed? For example, Senator Dianne Feinstein? OrSenator Feinstein?
For the other guests  I plan to use first and last name: Debbie Menzer. Is this proper ettiquette?
    — Debbie Menzer in Corporate Affairs
Dear Ms. Menzer:
        It would be better for all the place cards to be the same style. Senator Feinstein is the most formal form to use on a place card (it’s the conversational form).:
      Senator Feinstein
      Ms. Messemer
      Mr. Hickey
If you are going to include honorifics on some, you should do them all with honorifics.
The form I show above provides just the information needed for a guest to find his or her place.
But I see you are in corporate affairs. If it is your company style to include first and last names on place cards, how about giving the official her courtesy title:
      The Honorable Barbara Feinstein
      Debbie Messemer
Robert Hickey

It’s not technically ‘the most formal style” but you get first and last names … anyone entitled to a courtesy title gets theirs … and the place cards can be doneconsistently and I like consistency.
       – Robert Hickey www.formsofaddress.info

Read Full Post »

Wondering what to put on a name badge for the Attorney General and a former attorney general. We usually do first name large, then first last underneath. Not sure what to do with these officials. Any help appreciated.
— Jenny

Dear Jenny:
    In my experience, it’s rare that you can get high officials to even wear a name badge, so if you can do that … congratulations.
Usually protocol professional go for consistency, so if you are including jobs/affiliations … then everyone should have their title or organization..
If you decide to accept inconsistency — because functionally you want first-name last-name … and think the Attorney General needs to be identified — you might write a non-official’s name badge as:

And a current official … in this case the current attorney generals badge as:
 Attorney General

Former attorney generals continue to be in writing as The Honorable … (see my page on attorney generals) but other than that …. they don’t get any special form of address
They go back to whatever they were before they were attorney general, but are of course identified as a former attorney general when appropriate.
                – Robert Hickey www.formsofaddress.info

Read Full Post »

I’m working on name badges for speakers at our college’s conference and I’ve never been sure how to include degrees on name badges. What is the correct order?
Mark Johnson, BS, MA, PhD ?
Mark Johnson PhD, MA, BS?
Do you list them all or just the highest?
Heidi Miller PhD, MA, BA
Heidi Miller, PhD
 — LR

Dear LR:
Degrees are listed highest to lowest when more than one is included.
Regarding the decision to include degrees on name badges … most often name badges are written to provide information to facilitate networking and conversation. They aren’t biographies. Usually name badges provide the person’s call-by name.
In an academic environment where you might decide it’s necessary to use “Dr.” … so you might also give everyone honorifics .. Mr./Ms./etc. … to keep them consistent.:
Mr. Robert Hickey

Dr. Heidi Miller 

or provide some extra information:
Mr. Robert Hickey
The Protocol School of Washington

Dr. Heidi Miller
Department of Biology

or even more:
Mr. Robert Hickey
Deputy Director
The Protocol School of Washington

Dr. Heidi Miller
Department of Biology

– Robert Hickey www.formsofaddress.info

Read Full Post »

I am writing place cards for an event and we have some cadets from West Point attending.  Do I write Cadet (last name), Mr./Ms. (last name) on their place card or just (First name) + (Last name) ?
— Cortney P.

Dear Cortney,
Yes … I have all the forms of address for United States Military Academy on page 210 of my book.
Place card would be: Cadet (surname)
– Robert Hickey www.formsofaddress.info


Read Full Post »

Dear Robert:
I’m putting together place cards for a memorial dinner on April 17.  In general, I’m using the form:
Mr. Andy Clark
I choose to use Andy rather than Andrew because this is a social event (actually a formal dinner). Although the event has business overtones as I have a mix of corporate, government, and guests at our tables. Should I use the Andrew form instead of the Andy form?
Which is the right way to go for those with PhD (or equivalent) degrees:
Dr. Michele Gates
Ms. Michele Gates, PhD
Michele Gates, PhD
Ms. Michele Gates

How should I make out these cards?
— Thanks, Andy

Dear Andy:
Most formal/traditional place card would be just the basic information to help the guest find their seat – (honorific)+(surname):
Mr. Clark
Captain Thompson
Dr. Detweiler

At a an event where the card is printed with the name both sides to provide the names for networking etc. …  you do see full names use the full names (not nick names) like this:
Mr. Andrew Clark
Captain Robert W. Thompson
Dr. Charles Detweiler

Nick names are typically used at a casual event, such as at an in-house event where everyone is already on a first-name basis, or at your home.
PhD’s in academia and a research use “Dr” …  those who aren’t usually don’t.  So if Michele is a research scientist … write her card as Dr. Gates. If she’s in corporate work, use Ms. Gates.

— Robert Hickey     www.formsofaddress.info

Read Full Post »